Saturday, September 18, 2010

Design Identity: an Introspective Look at Myself as a Designer

Who am I, as a designer? I haven't given much consideration to that question before now; I suppose it was never an issue of great importance to me. Having said that, though, I do feel there are, and have been, significant influences on me as a designer. As much as I dislike talking about him, I am certain my father's design background played a supporting role in my development as a designer. He had been a graphic designer for several years, and, as such, there was always a certain 'design sensibility' about him that I seem to have absorbed via osmosis. Perhaps that explains the attention to detail/perfectionism I have exhibited throughout my life.

Growing up and living in a big city with a significant arts culture was important as well. I'm not sure about Canada as a whole, but Toronto, where I was raised, has a great appreciation for visual art and design, and has always been supportive of me as a designer. One specific influence is Nuit Blanche, the "all-night contemporary art thing" held annually in Toronto. Having experienced this as a teenager unsure of my future as a designer/artist, it gave me the encouragement I needed to decide where I wanted to go in life, and encouraged me to be more creative, as I learned that being a designer can be a rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment